The data we actually collect
It is not a lot, really. Mostly, it will be the personal information you have given us yourself, such as your name, email address, contact details and address and on days when we are really organised, we will keep a record of products and services you have purchased from us. Any information we collect about you will come either from yourself, any person who may have referred you to us, or from our advertising or social media platforms.
You acknowledge that personal data that you submit through comments on blog posts or knowledge base articles may be available, via the internet, around the world and as such, we cannot prevent the use (or misuse) of such personal data by others.
Cookies without the cream
We keep it to ourselves
We will only share information with the following third parties: Governmental and regulatory bodies such as HMRC, the Financial Conduct Authority, the Prudential Regulation Authority, the Ombudsman, the Information Commissioner’s Office and under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, so basically, to comply with our legal and/or regulatory obligations.
What we do with it
Mailchimp are much more clever than us with stuff like that so they automatically track what you do with the newsletters and it should if we had half a brain and time to spare, help us do things like market research and analysis and developing statistics. Apparently, that is acceptable under the GDPR, because it is in the “legitimate interest of our business” so if we get around to doing it, please rest assured that we will comply with the rules.
And by the way, none of this is forever. We will only keep data as long as we have reasonable business needs and in line with regulatory and legal guidance.
These only apply in certain circumstances, so if you want to invoke any of them, we will have to talk about it at the time. But just in case, we thought we would give you the heads up:
- The right to be informed about the processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed
- The right to object to processing of your personal information
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information erased (the “right to be forgotten”)
- The right to request access to your personal information and to obtain information about how we process it
- The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information (“data portability”)
- Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you
- You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office which enforces data protection laws. You can contact us using the details below.
- You have the right to object to certain purposes for processing, in particular to data processed for direct marketing purposes and to data processed for certain reasons based on our legitimate interests.
Individuals can find out if we hold any personal information by making a ‘subject access request’ under the GDPR law. If we do hold information about you we will:
- Give you a description of it;
- Tell you why we are holding it;
- Tell you who it could be disclosed to;
- Let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form
What if it all goes tits up
We might become important and famous and all that and get hacked. Or, more realistically, something could go a little bit wrong with our systems and customer data could be lost, stolen, or potentially compromised. If this happens, we will alert our customers via email no later than 48 hours of our team becoming aware of the event. We will also report such incident to any required data protection authority. We will work closely with any customers affected to determine next steps such as any end-user notifications, needed patches, and how to avoid any similar event in the future.
SEE WORDPRESS.ORG/ABOUT/SECURITY FOR DETAILS ON THE SECURITY OF THE WORDPRESS CORE ITSELF.
Email us if you would like more information!